Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Sehwag

I'm struggling to understand how people can openly criticise Virender Sehwag. With an average of just under 50 in test match cricket, and an attacking style of play, surely he is a much better option that the dead wood that is Wasim Jaffer?

The pair played together in Perth and although Sehwag didn't set the game alight with his batting he managed 70+ runs in the match, and showed ambition to take it to the Australian attack. I don't see any ambition with Jaffer, and he can't even do his job as a rock at the top of the order. I wasn't overly impressed with what I saw of him before this tour, but what I've seen in Australia has just backed my thoughts up. Anyway, lots not turn this into a Jaffer bashing post!

Sehwag has done it against the best, and offers experience at the top of the order, where India need it at the moment. Their middle order is phenomenal, but foundations have to be set for them to fire. I for one hope Sehwag gets a good run in the Indian test side now and hope he can be succesful at Adelaide and beyond.

1 comment:

Zohaib said...

Well, It would be interesting to see if Sehwags average without the minor teams is just as good.

I just dont understand why bowlers can't get him out. It's just a matter of bowling stump to stump. His foot movement is basically nothing.